Training for Thursday, May 18

Thursday, May 18, 2017


As you read earlier, reader, I took a planned week off (turned out to be six days) from training. No cycling. No running. No lifting. Nothing. They tell you not to do any of that kind of stuff after having a vasectomy, so ...

Anyway, I felt good enough to hit the gym today. I didn't cycle in (the boys are still a little too tender for that), but I spent my lunch hour at the U of M's Active Living Centre throwing some (body) weights around. Prairie CrossFit's WOD was the perfect workout for me to do considering my time off and my current limitations.

Today's training:

Lunch hour

A. Push Press Cluster; 5.5 x 3 sets; 2 min rest (worked up to 135 lbs)

30 min AMRAP
30 Cal Row
30 Walking Lunges (used 25 lb KBs)
30 Hand Release Push-ups
30 Sit-ups
30 Air Squats


I made it through 25 minutes. It was tough, no doubt, but I felt a little bit of pain down there so I decided not to push it. I probably won't train again until Tuesday (I'm on solo dad duty for the next four days), but you never know.

No training, as I've said a billion times here, means no food. So, it's been no food for the last six days. Well, I did get Five Guys after my surgery, so there was that. But, I stayed pretty razor sharp over that stretch. It was nice to eat again today. I weighed in at 179 lbs. Makes me think I won't switch to cut 2 after all next week. I might give it another seven days of consistent training before making that determination. 

Now for a few quick hits:
  • I posted an inspirational quote on Instagram late Sunday. I was hoping it was going to set the tone for the rest of the work week. To be honest, I don't really have hard, grueling days at work. I really love my my job. But I really do like motivational quotes and find myself somewhat inspired by some here and there. Anyway, this week was a gongshow. One of the most challenging stretches I've had in a loooonngg time. I just couldn't break through. I kept my composure though and didn't act on emotion. As things tend to do, everything worked out. I actually ended up having one of the more productive/creative weeks I've had in awhile. So, I don't know. I'd like to spend more time sharing some of the philosophies on work/life I've been thinking my way through over the last year. Getcha' popcorn ready for that.

  • Eff it, maybe I'll share some stuff now. I do two things pretty much everyday: talk out loud to myself, and crossword puzzles. Both, I feel, have helped me immensely in my day-to-day operations. I feel I've become much more of a quick thinker and more prepared for various situations and encounters. This blog, too, has helped ignite some creative sparks at work as well. I sort of knew it would. It's that's a large reason why I decided to do personal writing again. If you want to be a good writer, you gotta write, right?

  • Chris Cornell killed himself today. I was up early, briefly, at 5 a.m. when I saw the news. Gutted. I didn't get my driver's license until I was 19. Audioslave was a huge band at that time, and a lot of their songs from their debut effort lived glorious lives on my mix tapes. Anyway, the first time I hit the road after passing my driver's test, I popped in one my cassettes knowing full well Show Me How To Live would be the first song to play. I cranked it full blast as I sped down Fermor Ave. Great memory. I wasn't a huge Soundgarden fan, but I always respected CC's haunting vocals. Another legend gone too soon.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

GK All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger